Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Comforts

I'm in Texas at the moment, staying right next door to Comfort.  They call themselves "an antique town", with antique stores on every corner and shops in-between designed to make a life worth staying home for.  If simple things could produce nostalgia, happiness, and, yes, comfort, they'd be making bank.  And, of course, they are.

As a Christian woman I live with a lot of guilt about my comforts.  Whether it's chocolate or Netflix, there is a niggling suspicion that I shouldn't be using these to make myself feel better-- that's what God is supposed to be for.  Jesus said He would send us The Comforter, and He did!  So.... why am I left feeling that on most days in this way the Holy Spirit doesn't "work"?

Let me draw a distinction in self-defense.  When the chips are down and the world has fallen apart and it's three in the morning and my soul is bleeding, God is the only true comfort and I run to Him every time.  It's the less cataclysmic moments that cause me trouble-- like when I'm dis-regulated, grumpy, tired, annoyed, disappointed.  It's as if these "minor troubles" don't warrant a trip all the way into the throne room.  It's so far!  It's so much work to get myself into the proper brain space for communicating with The God of the Universe.  It's so much easier to "grab a snickers bar" and rely on those splendid chemicals and endorphins that same God gave us which equalize and restore us to a state of comfort.  

Here's what I'm not saying: don't eat when you're hungry-- go to Jesus!  Don't nap when you're tired-- go to Jesus!  Don't grieve when you're disappointed-- go to Jesus!  (And I'm certainly not advocating eating a snickers bar!)  While Jesus always ministers to us whenever we come to Him, He also understands the human body and that it has been made to need food and rest and tears.  He employed all of those things Himself and holds no guilt over our heads for doing the same.

Here's what I am saying: Why is it, in so many every-day moments, that we are more comforted by Doctor Who than by the Real Lord of All Time?  Why is chocolate-dipped biscotti more comforting than The Bread of Life?  Why is exercise (reportedly) more comforting than walking with our only perfect Dad?

Do you feel this?!  I have not written a rhetorical post here-- sound off for me.  Where has God met you on this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts... some of my responses:

"It's as if these "minor troubles" don't warrant a trip all the way into the throne room. It's so far!" Love that... epitomizes my often-struggle....

How we have regulated what it takes to come before God! I remember the old Steven Curtis Chapman song, Let us Pray.... "Like breathing out and breathing in, let us pray." The only way to change how we feel separate from God is to go more often when we aren't in crisis so that when we ARE it won't take as much effort.

Enjoying the blessings of the Lord is one of the ways that we honor God. How horrible I would feel as if my children didn't play with the toys I gave them for Christmas or chose to wear rags to school on their first day instead of what we thoughtfully shopped for in preparation! How often, though, do we forget the Giver because the gift is closer.....

Great blog post and great thought provoker for me! Thanks!

Sarah D

Debbie said...

Thought provoking for me, Honey, and causing me to evaluate.

I think that through these past three + years of infirmity, I actually HAVE learned to run to Him no matter the size of the issue, no matter the time of day or night. No real journey involved, the throne room kind of my dwelling place. The habit breeds more habit. Practicing the presence of God.....I think in a way it has become second nature. More and more I find myself talking to Him all day long saying things like, "You know, Abba. You know. I don't. You do," and "Please do what You alone know is best in this situation," and in frustration, "AAAAAHHHH!!! I don't get this! I know You do. I know You are sovereign. I know you are working. But I still don't get this!"

And the blessed thing is that He DOES know, He IS sovereign, He IS working, and He understands my angst and loves me fully anyway.

It has become a dialogue for me, this entering the throne room. No effort to travel there, just picking up the conversation as if there were no interruptions.

Doesn't mean I won't be back in the "journey" mode at another point in time, though. Seasons.

I love you, Honey, and I'm so glad you're writing again. :-)